Our Heritage

The school was founded in 1955 on the traditions and strong foundations of the Sisters of St Joseph and St Mary Of The Cross’ call for people that they “never see a need without doing something about it.”

In 1951, a small area known as Surprise Town was named Windale after the Winn family who had owned large areas of land here from 1923. In 1948 the NSW Housing Commission developed a major portion of the estate for housing blocks.

During the years when Father Hayes was a Parish Priest of Adamstown, the NWS Housing Commission offered him land where the present Windale shopping centre now stands. There was some delay in the decision to accept and the original position was no longer available.

In 1958, Bishop Toohey, Bishop of Maitland, informed Father Boyle of Swansea, that Windale was in his Parish and not in Father Hayes’ Charlestown/Redhead Parish.

In 1957, Father Byrne was appointed Parish Priest of Swansea and in December 1957 Father Gallagher was appointed to Curate to help Father Byrne.

St Pius X Church was commenced in March 1958.  In 1959, St Pius X Church/School was opened in time for the school year.

The Sisters (Anslem, Virilius, David) travelled to and from Swansea every day.

On 17 July 1959, the Sisters took up residence in the new convent within the diocese.

On 1 February 1967, Father Barry O’ Hearn was appointed the Parish Priest of Windale.  His first residence was a caravan parked near St Pius X Church.

Construction of the Presbytery was planned and completed in 1968 at a cost of $8500. 

History of the School

1959 – classrooms in the Church, folding partitions used.

1960 – The original Library room arrived. It was used as a kindergarten and Year 1 classroom.

1968 – The first prefab rooms arrived for the use of the school.

1969 – More prefab rooms plus a small storeroom and lunchroom were added. At this time the school was separate from the church.

1971 – Prefab hall arrived with a small canteen attached. This was used for Housie (Bingo) which was previously held several times a week in the Church.

1981 – Two portable rooms arrived. These rooms became Year 3 and 4 classrooms. In addition, the room beside the church arrived.